Mommy Couture


Eons ago I was once described as well dressed. The right outfit that gives out a successful look, the shoes that gives me the height for the feel of power, and the right accesories for a complete finish. Well eons ago, I didn't have to worry and think of what I need to wear.

It's been about 7 years now since I left the Fashion Industry. 7 years ago since I stepped in the plane by myself to fly to our NY showroom and check out the newest in the market. 7 years ago since I know what goes with what. I used to receive clothing allowance and if I needed to spend my own money to shop then I only pay a small fraction of the price. And now I have to dig in my own pocket to buy something to wear and I am quite lost. "Welcome to the real world!" is what I heard from a girlfriend I was complaining to. I say she's quite bitter don't you think? (sarcasm there).

Now I buy magazines to see what outfits are out there, but all I keep saying is "holy shit, who can afford these stuff?". The pair of pants I would like to have is $ 395, shoes $520, $ purse 210. I'm over $1000 already and yet I would have to walk around topless! Not to mention that I have to splurge another $20,000 on having all the fat sucked out of me. Maybe I should nominate myself in "What Not TO Wear", "10 Years Younger", "Trading Spaces", and "Extreme Makeover". That will give me a couple of thousands to look hip, and feel hip again. Ok, back to the real world...

7 years ago I got pregnant with my firstborn. Left NY job, and since then, It's been 7 years that I've been wearing Old Navy - Mommy Couture Land. Good Old Navy whom I used to bash so much when I first started shopping there. Materials are cheap, accesories are cheap, shoes are atrocious! My whole world is now a knock-off! Oh the drama! (I'm bitter can't you tell!)

Mommy Couture isn't so bad, especially when you have more $ left to spend buying Chuck E. Cheese tokens. Which reminds me - Old Navy should be sending me my 20% coupon for Spring clothes! Oh gosh I'm sooooo excited! (no sarcasm this time) :-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
You must be my twin...

It's been 6 years since I left the cosmetics industry. I feel the same way whenever I buy sunscreen at Target. But it hurts when you actually have to pay for things.
Shannon said…
Bwaa haa haa! My sister actually nominated me for "What Not to Wear" and they called her, but didn't take me because I didn't work outside the home. Ah well... Old Navy is an oft-visited place for me, too.
MJ Tam said…
reluctant houswewife - i'm glad someone can relate how sucky it is to pay retail on something that you use to get free or for a few cents back then...
MJ Tam said…
shannon - i bet we can do an Old Navy musical/commecial together...hehe
Valerie said…
Old navy isn't couture? DAMN, someone has been lying to me.
MJ Tam said…
valerie - it is now! A revolution has just started
MrsFortune said…
Hmm ... well, it's been a while since I've left the music industry and I haven't been to a concert since! But Old Navy? I should get frequent sailor miles or something. :)
MJ Tam said…
mrsfortune - frequent sailor miles...funny! You might want to copyright that before Good Ole Navy snatch it off you.
Anonymous said…
not only is everything super expensive but my keen eye seems to pick the most expensive one. If only that were a game show and I a contestant!
Crissy said…
See, and everybody wonders why I wear T-shirts and shorts all the time. Sure, $20 is expensive for some cotton with writing on it, but unless I'm shopping at Ross, that's pretty much what I'm gettin'. ;o)
Marie said…
If I measured my bust under my arms, it would miss a considerable amount of, um, bust.
Marie said…
If I measured my bust under my underarms, I would miss a considerable amount of, um, bust.
Mama Grouch said…
I worked at Marshall Fields (where they sell $325 jeans) as a temp the entire time I was pregnant. Not only was I a lump surrounded by 6' tall glamorous co-workers - I didn't even get a discount. Now whenever I have a bad day with the kiddo my mantra is: "at least its better than Marshall Fields at least its better than Marshall Fields at least its better than Marshall Fields"
Mama Grouch said…
I worked at Marshall Fields (where they sell $325 jeans) as a temp the entire time I was pregnant. Not only was I a lump surrounded by 6' tall glamorous co-workers - I didn't even get a discount. Now whenever I have a bad day with the kiddo my mantra is: "at least its better than Marshall Fields at least its better than Marshall Fields at least its better than Marshall Fields"
Kinda Perfect said…
I dread checking the prices next to any item of clothing I spy in InStyle. I'll think 'ooo thats perfect' and it'll turn out to be the most expensive on the page! I don't know how I manage it I never look at the 20 quid top and think wow thats pretty always the 200 quid top, unfortunatly my budget dictates that the 20 quid top is the one that ends up in my wardrobe lol!

Thanks for your vote on BOB by the way! :-)
MJ Tam said…
mamagrouch - without a discount? but whats the point in working at fields then? hehe...btw the way, which fields?
MJ Tam said…
sarah - i do, i really do feel your pain! Another magazine is LUCKY - where they would literally print shoes after shoes, bags after bags, and then I always pick the one that i would most likely say - yeah maybe "someday"...when it's out of style that is! hehe
M said…
I don't have a clue what to wear anymore. I have some Motherhood Maternity track pants that still work and a bunch of faded motorcycle and rock t-shirts. I feel like the Hunchback of Notre Dame when I go into the stores for something for me. I used to love to get dressed and put on makeup. Now I feel like a clown. I've completely lost my expertise in that area. I left the working world only three years ago, too.

Love your blog.
Anonymous said…
Don't get me wrong...I'm all for Old Navy clothes...however...have you seen the latest commercial they have going on?

Pastel stripes. Scuse me? No way. Not for this chick!