Pudding Brain - I'm Exhausted!

Whew! I didn't think I'd make it here in blogland at all this week. Besides this past weekend's holiday and an event that my company sponsors monthly, I had also excitedly volunteered to do a major project on my own time - All I can say is that I can't believe that I'm alive to even tell you all about it. (oh the drama! hehe) But before I get into details I would like to apologize to my blog renter Jen from A Tight Knit Mom for not having had the chance to even acknowledge her presence in my blog. So, Jen I'm so sorry! And for you my awesome readers, won't you please click and visit A Tight Knit Mom located in my sidebar and let Jen know that I've sent sugar her way.

Now back to the project I mentioned earlier. My sister-in-law is getting married this July and being the good family that I am, I volunteered to do her invitations for her. I guess you can call me as a Jack...errr I mean "Jane of all trades, master of none" kinda girl. hehe.

Anyway, the wedding will be in a traditional Chinese theme, and so I thought it would be great if I can make the wedding invitation inspired by a cheongsam (Chinese Dress).

And here is the result of my 65 hours of work:

My sister-in-law managed to purchase some chinese fabric buttons (frog buttons) from China and I basically scoured thru textile manufacturers and was able to buy the silk material at $5.99/yard. Quite a deal don't you think?

Then when you open the invitation I had printed the "Double Happiness" character on a gold vellum paper. The character is a commonly used symbol in Chinese Weddings. Behind the gold vellum shows the printed invitation.

The next one shows you a little bit on how I just basically wrapped a paper with the fabric to use for the invitation. If the picture was any bigger, you would've seen that I've used scotch tape just to use for the sample. For the final product I used a spray craft glue.

And in the last picture below, I was able to use my very little itty bitty knowledge with Adobe Illustrator to make the map and the rsvp card.

I've done dozens of invitations before, but this is what I am most proud of. (Ok, other than my own baby announcements donned with my babies faces in there of course...hehe.) I had to make 150 of these invitations, meaning 150 pieces of materials to cut and glue, 150 pieces of envelopes to calligraphy by hand, 150 pieces of rsvp cards, stamps, and envelopes to label, and 150 pieces vellums and maps to print and cut. Now you know why it took me 65 hours altogether - and that is with some little help from my friend and husband!

I need some sleep! Boy, do my sister-in-law owe me big time!

Comments

Mama of 2 said…
Beautiful invitations.
I can't imagine all the work that went into them. Your sister-in-law should be very pleased with all of your hard work.

Go take that well deserved rest now, okay?
Anonymous said…
Oh MY! Those are so beautiful!!! You should be proud! WOW!

Get some rest!
Valerie said…
Wow they are really pretty invitations. so original too, I never knew you were so talented!
Mom on the Run said…
I am STUNNED! And I thought I did good invites just by cutting stuff out of magazines and slapping it on some card stock! Girl, these are good! Beautiful! Yes, your sister in law better get you a nice massage at some spa, hint hint!
Jen said…
Oh dont worry about it!! This is my first time over here since you accepted my bid! I understand things being busy and hectic! Just craziness lately!
BlondeBlogger said…
Oh my gosh!!! Those are gorgeous! You are so talented, Sugar!!!
Crissy said…
Wowee, those are beautiful! Remind me to have you make invitations for . . . I dunno, SOMETHING . . . for me some time. ;o)
shpprgrl said…
Oh boy, sister in law is a very lucky girl! Great job!
Those are the most intricate and well done invitations I have seen. Very well thought out. Great site and fantastic post.
Shannon said…
These are SO Gorgeous! I've done some invite/announcements and I know how much work it is. I'll bet your sister-in-law is thrilled.
Trish Ess said…
Four Words: Bee Yoo Tee Ful! I'm in awe. :)
Kel said…
Just beautiful! I love them. Your sister-in-law is one lucky gal.

P.S. I fixed my blog now so you can come and visit. ^_~
Gail said…
Those are stunning!! You did an excellent job! :)
Crissy said…
Oh, one thing I forgot to say: I love the clasp idea. I usually dislike handmade invitations b/c I hate how once you untie the bow, etc., it's impossible to re-close them and have them look as nice as they looked when you first got them. Your button idea totally takes care of that problem!
Unknown said…
I also forgot to tell you that I think these are beautiful. I recently helped a friend with invitations for her parents 50th. Similar fold and labor intensive. I showed her your pics justin case I should ever want invitations.
Mommy said…
Wow - they are gorgeous! Color me impressed.